Botanical Essence™ No.1 Eau de Parfum
Naturally active ingredients
- Patchouli Essential Oil (Pogostemon cablin)
- Patchouli has reviving and stimulating properties and is used by aromatherapists to help soothe skin and help calm stress. It is even reported to be a mild aphrodisiac! The sweet, spicy, heady odour of patchouli makes it a very popular fragrance ingredient.
- Damask Rose (Rosa damascena)
- A key note in all of our Botanical Essence™ eau de parfums, rose exudes a refined floral facet into the fragrance heart that is both intense and sensual. For Botanical Essence™ No.9, we source our Rosa damascena from Bulgaria and Turkey – offering the very best of each. The rose essence is obtained through steam distillation of the freshly picked flowers. They are hand-picked in the morning and quickly processed to avoid fermentation, then the absolute is extracted. About 4-5 tonnes of roses makes just 1kg of essence.
- Bergamot Essential Oil (Citrus aurantium bergamia)
- Bergamot is named after the Italian town of Bergamo where the fruit was originally cultivated. This refreshing essential oil is extracted from the bergamot fruits, and is widely used by aromatherapists to relieve stress, depression and insomnia.
- Vetiver Essential Oil (Vetiveria zizanioides)
- Vetiver is a tall perennial grass. An essential oil with a sweet, earthy odour is produced from its roots. This oil is known as the ‘oil of tranquillity’ because of its sedative properties, which help promote relaxation.
- Coriander Essential Oil (Coriandrum sativum)
- Coriander is native to southern Europe and the western Mediterranean region. The essential oil is distilled from the dried fruits (seeds) of the plant and has a sweet, musky, spicy, woody aroma. As the seeds dry they develop an aromatic scent and flavour and this has been used to advantage for thousands of years. The seeds have been found in ancient Egyptian tombs and reference was made to them in ancient Sanscrit writings. The ancient Romans used the spice to preserve their meat.
- Lavender Essential Oil (Lavandula angustifolia)
- This comforting, calming oil has been widely used since the late 16th Century. More recently research has shown the benefits of this versatile oil to help induce a restful night’s sleep. We use a high altitude lavender from the Mount Ventoux area of France for its wonderful calming aroma.
- Geranium Essential Oil (Pelargonium graveolens)
- This essential oil provides a wonderfully uplifting fragrance. Pelargonium graveolens, known as rose-scented geranium has a powerful rose-like odour. This luxurious oil is most commonly used in aromatherapy for its toning and balancing properties.
- Tonka Bean Absolute (Dipteryx odorata)
- Tonka bean absolute is produced from the beans of a large tree, native to South America, which grows over 120 feet high. Tonka bean has a soft sweet odour reminiscent of hay and coconut and is often used as a natural fixative in perfumery; this means that it is used to help maintain the fragrance of a blend for a longer period.
- Mandarin Essential Oil (Citrus nobilis)
- Citrus reticulata (syn. C. nobilis), the mandarin orange, is a small to medium sized evergreen tree producing orange fruit with loose, ‘kid glove’ skins. Thorny, with slender twigs, the trees are transformed by fragrant white flowers in the early spring. From bloom to harvest takes between 6 and 10 months depending on where on the tree the fruit is: the closer to the outside of the tree the fruit is, the faster it ripens. Mandarin essential oil has an intensely sweet top note, with a rich, floral undertone reminiscent of neroli.
- Bitter Orange Oil (Citrus aurantium amara)
- Bitter orange has highly fragrant, white flowers which are followed by green fruits that ripen to reddish-orange at maturity. Like other members of the citrus family, trees can have both ripening fruit and flower hanging from their branches at the same time. The flowers, leaves and fruit are all dotted with tiny oil glands from which an array of essential oils is produced. Bitter orange essential oil has a fresh, dry, odour with a lasting, sweet, floral undertone. While notes are reminiscent of bergamot, grapefruit and sweet orange, the dominant scent is unique.
- Cardamom Essential Oil (Elettaria cardamomum)
- The spice cardamom is the seed of Eletteria cardamomum, the cardamom. Closely related to ginger, cardamom has green, sword-shaped leaves and white flowers with pink veining. Considered to be the world’s third most expensive spice, cardamom is most commonly sold in the pod (whole or split) as seeds rapidly lose freshness outside the pod, and ground cardamom loses its flavour quickly. Cardamom essential oil has a warm, spicy, aromatic top note that becomes woody and balsamic, then sweet and almost floral on the dryout.
- Nutmeg Essential Oil (Myristica fragrans)
- Myristica fragrans (nutmeg) is an evergreen tree from the Spice Islands or Moluccas of Indonesia, with fragrant bell-shaped flowers on its outermost branches. The yellow nutmeg fruit is the only tropical fruit which produces two spices, nutmeg and mace. When ripe, the fruit splits in two, revealing a dark brown, shiny seed partially covered in a red, net-like structure, the aril, which is the source of mace. Nutmeg essential oil has a light, warm, spicy, fresh odour, with a rich, sweet, warm body note.
- Cedarwood - Texan Essential Oil (Juniperus mexicana)
- Texan cedarwood is native to the American southwest, growing in a band from Arkansas and Missouri south and west to Oklahoma, Texas and northern Mexico. The invasive propensity of the tree has caused the US Department of Agriculture to pay landowners to remove it to improve the grassland. Once cut and chipped, the wood is sent to distilleries which produce the essential oil through steam distillation. Texan cedarwood essential oil has a sweet, woody, slightly smoky note reminiscent of wood shavings.
Full ingredients list
At Liz Earle, high performance, quality and safe ingredients are our priority.
The ingredients in this product are:
Alcohol denat., Parfum (fragrance), Citrus aurantium bergamia (bergamot) fruit oil, Limonene, Citrus medica limonum (lemon) peel oil, Juniperus mexicana (cedarwood) oil, Linalool, Citrus nobilis (mandarin orange) oil, Citrus aurantium amara (orange) peel oil, Elettaria cardamomum (cardamom) seed oil, Pelargonium graveolens (geranium) oil, Rosa damascena (rose) flower absolute, Lavandula angustifolia (lavender) oil, Coriandrum sativum (coriander) seed oil, Myristica fragrans (nutmeg) kernel oil, Vetiveria zizanoides (vetiver) root oil, Dipteryx odorata (tonka) bean absolute, Pogostemon cablin (patchouli) leaf oil, Alpha-isomethyl ionone, Benzyl alcohol, Benzyl benzoate, Butylphenyl methylpropional, Citral, Citronellol, Coumarin, Eugenol, Evernia furfuracea (treemoss) extract, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellal.
Please take a moment to read our ingredients philosophy.