Botanical Essence™ No.100 Eau de Parfum
Naturally active ingredients
- Clove leaf (Eugenia caryophyllus (clove) leaf oil)
- The spice clove is the dried flower bud of an evergreen tree, and is cultivated in Indonesia, as well as Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, Madagascar and Zanzibar. Clove leaf essential oil has a slightly sweet, dry, woody note that is sometimes described as having a burnt, bread-like aspect. It is greener and less sticky than clove oils derived from bud and stem. The leaves used in Botanical Essence No.100 are sourced from Madagascar where they are a subsidiary crop of the spice production.
- Damask Rose (Rosa damascena)
- A key note in all of our Botanical Essence™ eau de parfums, rose exudes a refined floral facet into the fragrance heart that is both intense and sensual. For Botanical Essence™ No.9, we source our Rosa damascena from Bulgaria and Turkey – offering the very best of each. The rose essence is obtained through steam distillation of the freshly picked flowers. They are hand-picked in the morning and quickly processed to avoid fermentation, then the absolute is extracted. About 4-5 tonnes of roses makes just 1kg of essence.
- Geranium Essential Oil (Pelargonium graveolens)
- This essential oil provides a wonderfully uplifting fragrance. Pelargonium graveolens, known as rose-scented geranium has a powerful rose-like odour. This luxurious oil is most commonly used in aromatherapy for its toning and balancing properties.
- Ylang ylang (Cananga odorata (ylang ylang) flower oil)
- Both powerfully floral and intensely sweet, ylang ylang fades into a softer, slightly spicy and balsamic sweet, creamy floral note. It pushes the spicy note of the Indian jasmine and reinforces the other flowers. The blossoms used for the essential oil in Botanical Essence No.100 are handpicked from plantation-grown trees in the Comoros Islands. The yellow ylang ylang blossom is so delicate that it is distilled in small stills to avoid the flowers crushing each other and impacting the fragrance.
- Vetiver (Vetiveria)
- Vetiver such as ours, which comes from the islands of Haiti and Réunion, has a floral aspect and is considered to be of a higher quality than oil from other sources. This essential oil has a strong woody smell; deep, humid with green earthy accents, it adds a mysterious dimension to woody bases. Extensively used in perfumery, not only as a fixative but also as a fragrance ingredient in its own right, vetiver oil is a component in fougère, oriental and chypre bases as well as moss and woody notes.
- Orange Flower Water (Citrus aurantium v. amara)
- Also known as orange flower hydrosol, this exquisitely fragranced floral water is produced from the blossoms of the bitter orange tree. It contains the water soluble, volatile components of orange flowers, which give it its delicious, subtle odour.
- Bergamot (Citrus aurantium bergamia)
- The bergamot we use is grown in Calabria, Italy and the eastern coast of Sicily. This multifaceted essential oil lends a radiant, tangy citrus facet to a fragrance, with an extremely rich, sweet and fruity initial odour, followed by a characteristic herbaceous and balsamic body. Bergamot’s delicate and persistent scent has made it a popular ingredient for perfumery for centuries, and it was a component of the original eau de cologne blend.
- Cyperus (Cupressus sempervirens (cyperus) absolute)
- Cypress essential oil is distilled from the twigs of cypress, a very narrow, erect evergreen from the Mediterranean. Reminiscent of pine needles, the sweet balsamic, refreshing note of cypress absolute brings a sexy, woody note to the fragrance. The plant material for the essential oil in Botanical Essence No.100 is harvested in France where clippings from the annual autumn pruning of trees in plantations, as well as branches dropped in storms, are collected for distillation.
- Mandarin Essential Oil (Citrus nobilis)
- Citrus reticulata (syn. C. nobilis), the mandarin orange, is a small to medium sized evergreen tree producing orange fruit with loose, ‘kid glove’ skins. Thorny, with slender twigs, the trees are transformed by fragrant white flowers in the early spring. From bloom to harvest takes between 6 and 10 months depending on where on the tree the fruit is: the closer to the outside of the tree the fruit is, the faster it ripens. Mandarin essential oil has an intensely sweet top note, with a rich, floral undertone reminiscent of neroli.
- Indian jasmine (Jasminum sambac (jasmine) absolute)
- Indian jasmine brings a complex, sensual, romantic note to the fragrance. This exquisitely fragranced floral absolute is less animalic and more petally than the absolute obtained from Egyptian jasmine (Jasminum grandiflorum).The buds of the night-blooming evergreen climber are hand harvested in the early morning based on colour: only white buds are selected as green ones may not be fragrant. Buds are picked in preference to open blossoms as more blossoms are required to make the same amount of fragrance material, and they lose their fragrance more rapidly after picking.
- Sandalwood Essential Oil (Santalum album)
- As one of the oldest incense materials, (it was in use at least 4,000 years ago), precious sandalwood oil was often referred to as "Liquid Gold". Its subtle, woody, balsamic odour helps instil a sense of calm and well-being and when used as part of an oil blend, it offers a tension-relieving pick-me-up. It is one of the most calming incenses and therefore one of the most popular for use in meditation for its ability to compose the mind and enhance mental clarity.
Full ingredients list
At Liz Earle, high performance, quality and safe ingredients are our priority.
The ingredients in this product are:
Alcohol denat., Parfum (fragrance), Rosa damascena (rose) flower extract, Jasminum sambac (jasmine) flower wax, Citrus aurantium amara (neroli) flower extract, Cupressus sempervirens (cypress) leaf/nut/stem oil, Santalum album (sandalwood) oil, Vanilla planifolia (vanilla) fruit extract, Citrus nobilis (mandarin orange) peel oil, Citrus aurantium bergamia (bergamot) fruit oil, Eugenia caryophyllus (clove) leaf oil, Cananga odorata (ylang ylang) flower oil, Vetiveria zizanoides (vetiver) root oil, Pelargonium graveolens (geranium) oil, Limonene, Alpha-isomethyl ionone, Butylphenyl methylpropional, Benzyl salicylate, Hydroxycitronellal, Citronellol, Linalool, Geraniol, Eugenol, Cinnamyl alcohol, Citral, Benzyl alcohol, Benzyl benzoate, Farnesol.
Please take a moment to read our ingredients philosophy.